Sunday, August 26, 2007

Heroes

Beckihas me thinking again! That is a good thing. She did a post on "where are all the heroes." I left a comment but I can't get it out of my mind. My comment was this, "In this world Jesus needs to be their hero,.We as parents should at least try to conform to the image of Christ. Kids learn from our mistakes and learn forgiveness. You are your kids hero! As much as that makes me a little nervous. it also calls me on the carpet…Another reason I love home schooling. There is so much time in the day to learn through life and hang out with other HS kids who may be in there teens who skateboard, surf and to all the “cool” things yet have manners and are well read. My little kids get to hang with these older “heroes” and learn how to be a hero!" For some reason I can't leave it at that. I thought further on the issue because another comment was made that they still do look to TV to "find" heroes. I do limit TV watching but it is easy because my girls are just 2 and 4 1/2. I will someday have 12 and 14 year old who I hope will look to Jesus and me and their Daddy to be their heroes but we as people can't help but look to the world for something, someone to look up to. Mommy won't be cool forever!! So I got to thinking about our responsibility as parents to find the heroes, introduce them to our children and encourage them to lead as these heroes do.
A side note...I was going to post this without the spiritual content but I can't. As a Christ follower everything must run through the spiritual filter.
This made me think of my community and the heroes that reside there. People I can point to and say they are making a positive impact for their Faith and walk their talk along with doing their part to reach a lost world. Three people came to mind!

The first is my Bible study leader Evan. Evan is an accomplished actor and has been on Broadway and a lover of Christ.

The second is Elijah Young- As quoted by my friend Evan "Elijah known for his infectious smile and playful style. Elijah will set you at ease.Elijah is a Christ follower and very funny! Someone I could take my children to see and know they will be seeing someone who is real and someone they can look to.

The Third is -Carlos Oscar If you haven't heard of him check out the link. My friend and bible study leader Evan recently asked him to be a part of a comedy night at Revolution Church Carlos did it for free and he usually gets big bucks! Carlos got his start with Clean Comedians and was recently on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno ,HBO and Comedy Central.
I might post a monthly hero that we can point our kids to. The funny thing is all three of these men would point your kids back to Jesus!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

This is a great post, Donna! I especially as thankful for how you added in about homeschooling...HS is a HUGE topic in my house right now, should we, shouldn't we....anyways, anytime I hear soemone talk about it I am just thankful.

I like the idea of doing a monthly hero post - maybe we could do that together. I would post mine on A Walk...what do you think?

Real Life Sarah said...

This is a great post. I keep holding my breath for Hannah Montana to become a partying tartlet. Let's hope not, but I do need to find godly role-models for them.